My Vaccine Pass

My Vaccine Pass to be retired

From 8 December 2022 people will no longer be able to request a new My Vaccine Pass. The NZ Pass Verifier app will also no longer be operational or available to download from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.

All other vaccination documentation, including the My Vaccination Record and the International Travel Vaccine Certificate will still be available through the following channels:

  • online at My Covid Record
  • calling 0800 222 478
  • visiting your local participating pharmacy.

People will continue to have access to other forms of COVID-19 vaccination records which details their vaccination status including:

  • My Vaccination Record — which has more detailed information about their COVID-19 vaccinations including batch numbers, dose number, vaccine type and any overseas vaccinations that have been added to their health record.
  • International Travel Vaccination Certificate — which they can use to travel oversea.


How to sign up for My Covid Record

Anyone in New Zealand aged 12 or over can sign up for My Covid Record.

First, you will need to create a My Health Account, which allows you to access your health information online. You will need your own email address to create an account.

You will need to provide one of the following documents so to confirm your identity.

A New Zealand:

  • driver licence
  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • or citizenship certificate
  • your RealMe ID

Or an Australian:

  • passport
  • birth certificate

Help using My Covid Record

If you need help with My Covid Record, or have a query about your COVID-19 records, contact the Ministry of Health team, 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Phone: 0800 222 478

Your guide to signing up and using My Covid Record [PDF, 301 KB]

How to use My Covid Record to get My Vaccine Pass [PDF, 253 KB]

When you might need it

When New Zealand moves into the COVID-19 Protection Framework, also known as the traffic light system, you may need to use My Vaccine Pass to enter events and venues.

Vaccination certificates and the COVID-19 Protection Framework

Businesses may ask for photo ID when you show My Vaccine Pass.

You may need to show it in a range of public settings. These could include:

  • events
  • hospitality
  • close contact businesses, such as hairdressers and beauticians
  • retail
  • sport
  • faith-based gatherings.

Checking people’s My Vaccine Pass will be optional for many locations.

When you will not need it

You will not need to show proof of vaccination to access essential services like:

  • supermarkets
  • pharmacies
  • health and disability services
  • food banks
  • petrol stations
  • public transport, for example buses, trains and ferries
  • schools
  • housing and housing support services.

Children under 12 do not need to show proof of vaccination.

How to change your NHI name

The name that will appear on your My Vaccine Pass is the one that is selected as the “preferred name” on the Ministry of Health’s NHI (National Health Index) database.

If you want to change the name that appears on your My Vaccine Pass, you will need to change this on your NHI and then request a new pass.

There are four ways to change your name on your My Vaccine Pass:

  1. Ring 0800 222 478 (My Health Account)
  2. Fill in an online form
  3. Ask your GP
  4. Email

Please be aware that using the notification form or email service will take significantly more time than calling the 0800 number.

You do not need to provide proof of a legal name change for any of the options.

Ring 0800 222 478 (My Health Account)

You can now change the name on your NHI by calling 0800 222 478 and tell the person that you wish to change your “preferred name” on your NHI. Your name will update immediately but don’t forget to refresh your browser on My Covid Record to see the change and save or print out your My Vaccine Pass in your new name.

Fill in an online form

If you do not wish to or have difficulty speaking to someone on the phone, you can also change your name by using the notification form at

Please note that at this stage there is some confusing wording which we’re in the process of changing. It currently says you should contact your GP to change your name – however if you ignore this you can progress through to notify a name change.

Ask your GP

You can ask your GP to change your “preferred name” on the NHI database. Please note that your name will not update immediately on My Covid Record if your GP makes this change – this is an overnight process.


If you have difficulty using any of these methods, you can also email and advise that you want to change your preferred name.  Please note they will need to contact you for more information.

Changing the name of your My Vaccine Pass to match your identity documents – but also keeping a record of your new or preferred name on your NHI

You may want to have a name on your My Vaccine Pass that matches an identity document – such as a driver’s licence, but have your new or preferred name kept on your NHI record.

At this time, your name will need to be changed on your NHI (which is an overnight process) in order for you to generate your My Vaccine Pass in a name that matches your identity document/s.

We are currently exploring ways of enabling people to obtain a My Vaccine Pass in their legal name without changing their NHI name.

Gender and your My Vaccine Pass

Information on gender is not stored in your My Vaccine Pass so does not appear when it is scanned by a business. Only your name, date of birth and the expiry date of your My Vaccine Pass will appear.

International Travel Vaccination Certificate

The name used on your International Travel Vaccination Certificate (ITVC) must match the name on your passport. The name that appears on your ITVC is the “preferred name” on your NHI.

Changing the name on your identity documents

The Ministry of Health is not able to change your name on identification documents such as your passport or driver’s licence.

If you wish to change the names on these documents please visit