31 August 2021
West Coast DHB’s initial Greymouth drive-through COVID-19 vaccination event well attended
West Coast DHB’s initial COVID-19 vaccination drive-through event held on Sunday (29/08/2021) at Greymouth’s Aerodrome was well attended with 700 people getting vaccinated.
Sunday’s event was a fantastic collaborative effort by various agencies and local businesses including the DHB, St John, Poutini Waiora, Department of Conservation, Agfest, Paul Smith Earthmoving, Red Cross and Adam Berry Builders. It was staffed by around 70 people inclusive of 20 vaccinators.
Appointments were spaced in such a way that there were no long queues or wait times and on average, people were vaccinated within 10 minutes of their arrival. A small number of people had to be turned away because they didn’t have an appointment, or they arrived on push bike.
We are holding further drive-through vaccination events in Greymouth this week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
You can book online at www.BookMyVaccine.nz or by calling the National Booking team on 0800 28 29 26 (8am – 8pm, 7 days). Vaccinations are free.
We are currently planning drive-through events for other Coast communities. We will provide further information regarding these events once all the details have been confirmed.
Like our mobile clinics, our drive-through events are open to everyone including 12 – 15-year olds who can now be booked for a vaccination at the same time as their parent(s) or guardian(s). Remember, getting vaccinated is the best way to protect ourselves and our whānau.
Remember, if you are deciding to get your vaccination at a drive-through event:
- Drive-through vaccination is only suitable for passenger cars or SUVs. Unfortunately, we cannot accept motorbikes, trucks, or other high-sided vehicles at drive-through centres.
- If you have a history of fainting or other serious reactions following vaccinations, we recommend you don’t get your vaccination in a drive-through vaccination centre.
- Private conversations are more challenging at a drive-through site. If you need a detailed conversation about your vaccination, call your GP or Healthline first or attend a non-drive-through vaccination centre.
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 or are required to self-isolate (including because you are waiting for your test results), do not come to your vaccination appointment. This applies to all vaccination centres, including drive-through vaccination.
If you book a vaccination appointment at a drive-through vaccination event:
- Bring your NHI number if you have it.
- Where possible, wear a face mask/covering.
- Make sure you scan in using the event’s QR code.
- Come prepared in case you need to wait in queue for a period of time. Bring a book/knitting, snacks and water.
- Sit next to a car door that can be opened.
- Wear clothing allowing the vaccinator easy access to your upper arm. You should expect to receive the vaccine in the arm closest to the car window.
- Always stay in your vehicle, unless you are asked to step out by vaccination staff.
More information about getting the COVID-19 vaccine is available online: